Friday, January 18, 2008

*click*

It seems to me that everyone who successfully loses weight has that *click* moment where everything seems clear...you see what you have become, what you used to be and what you want to be. Not to say that getting to where you want to be is easy, but it suddenly becomes easier. You know what you have to do, and you are ready to do it.

I read where people say "I knew I had to give up...xyz...in order to reach my goals." I know that I am a carbohydrate addict...heck, I go beyond every definition of that I can come up with. I could eat nothing but bread, potatoes, corn and sweets made with white sugar and be a very happy person...a 1000 pound, bed-bound, bed pan using, sponge bath taking smelly carb-eating woman. Do I want that? Of course not. I'm not happy at my current weight...and while I am not limited in my activities YET, I know that it's coming, along with lots of diseases and sicknesses that are just waiting for my weight, age, blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol to creep up...and up...and up...and if I don't find a happy medium for my eating, it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

I toy around with the idea of cutting white sugar out of my diet...but then realize I don't think I could do that. It's sad, but I get so much happiness out of a homemade sweet every now and then...and I guess every now and then would be fine, if only it didn't equate to a few times a week.

I have been off of fast food and cokes for three weeks and have no weight change. How on earth can that be? Here are some examples of what I was eating, compared to what I eat now.

Then:

Breakfast:

2 or 3 glasses of real coke

Lunch:

2 double cheeseburgers from McD's
large order of fries
large coke, refilled twice

Dinner:

at any various restaurant...we'll say Mexican

full basket of chips with salsa
cheese dip
sour cream
shredded cheese
3 or 4 tortillas
chicken with veggies
shared fried ice cream with the fam

Throw in there various sweet snacks I might find at home.

and NOW...

Breakfast:

bowl of cereal w/skim milk

Lunch:

(today)
2 pb&j's
skim milk

Snack:

handful of dry cereal

Dinner: (I was starving)

3 pulled pork bbq sandwiches (small store brand buns...does that make up for the fact that there was 3? LOL)
handful of chips
homemade slaw
sweet tea
1/8 chocolate pudding pie

OK, I'm still not eating good at all...but it is a lot less than before...*sigh*I just have to accept that this is not a diet...it's re-learning how to eat, and it is going to take a while.

Now to check the weather...we are expecting snow tonight, and in Georgia, that's a huge thing!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Juli, you've made lots of good healthy changes,congratulations, I know how hard it is to give up the carbs .... there's nothing to beat a nice slice or two of freshly baked bread ! How frustrating for you that you haven't seen any results yet, but you WILL !! Stick with it & you'll reap the benefits. Well done on the WATP .... I love Leslie Sansone, but I often wish I didn't have sound LOL ! Thank goodness for the mute option ! Keep up the great work, you've made an awesome start :-)